I have finished taking Epicor and coconut oil for 3 weeks. This was only intended as an interim treatment hence the short duration. I normally like to try treatments out for 3 months to see if they have any effect on me.
- I started off taking 1x500mg Epicor tablet a day and over a week increased this dose to 3x500mg Epicor tablets a day. This lasted for 3 weeks.
- I started taking a tablespoon of coconut oil 1x a day and increased this over a week to 3x a day. This lasted for 3 weeks
I did not experience an improvement in any of my CFS symptoms while taking Epicor and coconut oil. I did however experience some minor side effects. These included:
- Coughing up more mucus than normal
- Having an increased amount of mucus discharge from the nose
- Feeling a bit “wired” for several days
- Having my legs feel restless and “wired.”
These side effects were only minimal and based on the timing of them I suspect they were caused by the coconut oil. The continual uncertainty of herxheimer effect vs non-herxheimer side effect is perplexing and I suspect the mucus side effects were possibly caused by a weak herxheimer effect.
I was surprised that the coconut oil caused these side effects as I normally tolerate medications quite well.
In conclusion I have stopped taking the Epicor and will probably take Beta Glucan at some stage in the future for a period of 3 months. I will continue to take the coconut oil to make a total time of 3 months. This is due to the coconut oil’s possible herxheimer (albeit, mild) side effects, cheapness and ease of availability.